Photoworks has launched a new opportunity in collaboration with the Ampersand Foundation – the Ampersand/Photoworks Fellowship.
The new fellowship will provide a transformative opportunity for a mid-career artist to complete a new body of work.
It is open to photographers living in the UK, funded by The Ampersand Foundation and supported by print partner Spectrum Photographic.
About the fellowship
While many opportunities exist for emerging and graduate photographers including the Jerwood/Photoworks Awards, the UK currently has few high-profile open access opportunities for mid-career photographers.
This new opportunity aims to enable and nurture the creation of new work through a combination of support including:
- A £15,000 award
- Mentoring and curatorial support
- A dedicated public programme and digital content with international reach
- Production budget
- A touring exhibition
The artist will be selected through a free open call.
Submissions are now open and will close at midnight on Sunday, February 28, 2021.
Photoworks is looking for projects which are already in the development phase that will benefit from financial resources and curatorial guidance.
Projects must be completed by April 2022.
An expert panel of curators and artists will decide the shortlist and final selection.
The awardee will make new work over a period of approximately 12 months, ready to be exhibited by Photoworks.
The entire programme, including the resulting exhibition, will be curated and produced by Photoworks in collaboration with a partner touring venue.
Key dates for your diary:
- 28 February, 2021 – Deadline for applications
- 15 March, 2021 – Longlist candidates notified
- 22 March, 2021 – Shortlist candidates notified and Interviewed
- 31 March, 2021 – Awardee announced
- 1 April, 2021, to April 2022 – Making period, public programme and digital content
- Mid 2022 onwards – Exhibition launches
How to apply for Ampersand/Photoworks Fellowship
Photographers can apply for the Ampersand/Photoworks Fellowship by following three simple steps.
- Applications should be submitted via the platform Picter. You will need to create a Picter account and begin your application for the Ampersand/Photoworks Fellowship by filling in your personal details.
- Please answer the following three questions and upload to Picter as a PDF.
- Please give an overview of your project (Max 500 words)
- How would your project ideally be exhibited? (Max 250 words)
- How would this opportunity be transformative for your career and how would it help you make the step change that you need? (Max 250 words)
- Submit up to 15 images. These can be work in progress images from the project you are pitching or examples of previous work.